Picture this – you’re on your couch, staring at the sky, squinting your eyes at the sun that has been bestowing its wrath on your house, and you realize that you’re in dire need of a gateway to the mountains or the beach. What would be the first thing that would pop up in your mind? Finding the right budget hotels. How about if we tell you that you need to take a step back to reconsider your accommodation options.
Since hotels are the most obvious and mainstream accommodation option, it’s no wonder why people fail to look beyond them while planning their holiday. But it’s no secret that hitels may not necessarily match the level of comfort that you may be hoping for. So what’s the middle ground? Undoubtedly, homestays.
What are homestays?
A homestay is a type of lodging option that pertains to visitors staying with a host family. In simpler terms, when you’re visiting a place, you can choose to stay with a family in your holiday location that provides homestay options. There are several ways to look for homestay facilities in India, for example, through a homestay app, travel guide, etc.
Benefits of opting for a homestay facility:
1. Distinctive experience: Most of the accommodation options available on travel apps like OYO & Yatra consist of hotels, which are lifeless buildings with the sole purpose of housing people within them. Homestays are different. They house not only the guest but also the host family and can come in the form of a bungalow, flat, beach house, or any home imaginable. Tourists get to choose the type of home they want, ensuring that they get a comfortable experience without having to break the bank.
2. Home-cooked meals: For those traveling for extended periods, the homesickness can kick in very soon. Travelers often crave home-cooked meals but seldom get the same taste and flavor in the food offered by hotels. Furthermore, travelers don’t get to see if the kitchens are abiding by the essential hygiene standards! Opting for a homestay can be the solution here, as the homestay plan may include dining at the host family’s residence. It’s always a good idea to check apps like Airbnb to ensure that your homestay offers meals, which in most cases is included. When food is cooked in a house, you can rest assured that the hygiene is taken care of and the taste of the food is impeccable.
3. Local guidance: Since the host family resides in the location you’re visiting, they are trustable sources of information about the locality. This is especially essential if you’re planning to visit a place where people converse in a local language that you don’t speak or understand. In these cases, your host family will be your guiding light and help you get through most tasks that involve communication with the locals.
4. Enhanced safety and privacy: Homestays are typically situated in residential communities as opposed to tourist hotspots. This ensures that you’ll be distanced from the touristy pitfalls, solicitations, deceptive schemes, and other inconveniences. Furthermore, you’ll get to lodge yourself within a house with limited rooms and guests, which ensures that your privacy is intact.
5. Unique activities: As a guest in a homestay, the emphasis is placed on your preferences and interests. Hosts are generally very accommodating and will dedicate significant effort to organizing activities tailored to your liking. These activities can differ depending on the location. Additionally, If you’re traveling during the festive season, you can even get a chance to see how your host family celebrates a festival, providing you with a valuable cultural exchange.
To conclude, homestays have been emerging as a popular accommodation option amongst those looking for a distinctive, immersive, and culturally rich experience. After you’ve got your commuting solutions sorted through travel apps like OYO & Hopper, the next step is to go on a homestay app to book a suitable homestay option. Nonetheless, it’s essential to carefully confirm the details of your homestay provider. It may also be helpful if you contact your host family to check if you’re comfortable with them.